Saturday, July 28, 2007

Camping with a Nauseous Pregant Girl


This marks the end of week 7 for the Beanie, and according to our books, means its doubled in size this week. I don't find this at all hard to believe given whats going on with my poor Sarah-saurus!!!! She's been so sick, mostly in the mornings and then again in the evening. I'm so proud of her though, she really is handling it well! She says she complains too much, but since its my job to listen to her, I tell her it doesn't count.
We went camping this week at the North Fork Campground up around Emigrant Gap, just west of Donner Lake. It was SO nice to get the heck out of Sacramento for a few of the 100+ degree days. The campground is really strange, as its located about 7 miles from the freeway down near the bottom the canyon, with NO signage what so ever. How any one ever finds it with out someone showing them first I'll never understand. The nice part is that no one is ever there. This is probably the 5th time I've been there in the past 6 years and I have yet to see more than 3 or 4 of the 16 sites occupied!
One of my favorite things about Sarah is that she's such an outdoorsy kind of girl! She loves just being outside the same way I do. Even with her poor stomache doing somersaults she was just pleased as punch to be up there with me. Shopping for food prior to the trip was kind of fun, as I had to pick up three options for each meal since there was no way of telling what she's be feeling like! *laughs* I must have done good cause there was something for her to eat and snack on that she liked at all times... hows that for the supportive father-to-be????
The campground is especially nice because of its proximity to what might be the greatest swimming hole ever. There is a large pool at the base of a waterfall that is probably 30 feet deep, with all sorts of ledges to jump off. Above that is another, deeper pool with a much larger waterfall. All sort of insane people are hurling their bodies off the surrounding cliffs into this thing... CUCKOOOOOOOO. Sarah and I did climb up to the second fool and swim under the waterfall, a total pre-requisite for this trip. :) We sunned ourselves and relaxed. Much of the time Sarah slept in the tent, recharging her batteries and letting the Beanie suck the life force from her.
I'll post a couple of pictures soon from the trip. We're also taking weekly pictures... wont be very interesting until she starts to show.. unless you're me, cause I think she's beautiful.
CHEERS!!

3 comments:

Mara Campbell said...

why doesn't it surprise me that there was always something that Sarah liked to snack on???? :-) Good to hear things are going well, at least how they should be going. It only gets better from here!!

Anonymous said...

I am making reservations for North Fork Campgrounds, a place that I went to twice when I was in my teens and too, loved the waterfalls and swimming holes.

I am wondering, as the reservations ystem is not site specific, where is the trail located to the swimming holes and/or the river going by? The map is unclear.

Here is a link to the the campground map. Thanks and hope fatherhood is all that you dreamed it would be.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/map_of_North_Fork_Ca/r/campgroundMap.do?camparea=82270881&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75481

Thanks and take care.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it shoudl read that the campground IS site specific.

Sorry.