Monday, January 12, 2009

Exiled Update #7 -- BEER EDITION

A wise man once said, "No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer." (-John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough) Though I am not headed for combat anytime soon, the universe willing, I made beer!


My lovely wife and parents, under the guidance of my brother-in-law, got me a KILLER beer making set up for Christmas. Today I boiled my first batch! I made a stout, called "MoBumBum Farms Wicked Stout" to be precise. Its not to terribly hard if you have the right equipment (which I do) and are reasonably clever (which I am not). With any luck I didn't contaminate anything too badly. The resulting carbouy full of fluid certainly looks like stout, and the smell while boiling the wort reminded me of St. James Gate in Dublin. I need to transfer it in a week, then wait another to bottle. Two weeks after that, if all went well, we'll be drinking beer! The specific gravity of my brew was 1.10, the expected spec grav for this kit is 1.061.... density predicts alcohol content. Uh-oh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I'm dying to try brewing my own beer. With alcohol content like that hopefully there will be no operating of any heavy machinery!

Mara Campbell said...

You have a sweet setup, Jason!!! I can't wait to hear the outcome of the taste test!!!

Anonymous said...

Sir, brewing is more of an art form. If you think you can just put some ingredients in your fancy pot and create a masterpiece, you are sadly, sadly mistake. This art form requires the utmost precision, timing, and scientific technique to produce a fine quality beverage that can be served to others. I assure you that throwing a bunch of grain in a pot and fermenting it might get you drunk, but if you want handcrafted goodness, it is imperative that you listen carefully to your brother in law. It sounds like he truly is a brewmaster and you can learn great things from his expertise.