Monday, June 23, 2008

The Best Bike Ever

Well its official, I own the coolest bike ever made. I picked up this beauty from a Craigslist posting after missing out on three others by minutes! With gas prices what they are, people are starting to learn the value of a good bike.


With my new job down the street this makes my commute about 5 minutes and about 3/4 of a mile, as opposed to the 125 miles away that my prior job site was! The new job is great, but it starts at 0600 hrs! EEP! Well I CAN ride the bike and drink coffee at the same time, but I thought I'd see if I couldn't do a little better than that. I'm no philistine after all....

I had an old bottle cage hanging around my garage that seemed to fit my mug perfectly. I drilled out the holes into the handlebars, which stay nearly upright in all but the most aggressive turns, secured it with a few loose parts I found at the bottom of my tool box and PRESTO! It doesn't look too secure in this picture, but I've road tested it and will stand-by the passing grade I've given it.

The sweetest thing about this bike is the way cool paint job. I have no idea when this thing was actually made, but I am guessing late 80's??? Further deduction places its previous and intended home at a Florida trailer park, given the name. My nana and grandpa had one of these things when they lived in Florida, and I remember riding it like a maniac, jumping the speed bumps and doing power slides on the shuffle board courts.


For my purposes and more grown up sensibilities, I've added a few other modifications. It came with this wimpy little wire basket, that just would not do. I had an extra plastic bin kicking around and mounted that on the back instead. It holds my big boat bag from Beans full of groceries with room to spare for a few other items. I originally just mounted it right to the frame, but I added a couple of pieces of wood to create a more solid mounting surface today, and it seems more stable now. As you can see, I put the reflector back there too, in a nod to safety concerns. In that vein I have a orange flag to warn people I am on the road.

Future modifications I am hoping to make are:

1) Adding a three speed hub--> as it is now, you max out your speed pretty quickly.
2) Lighting, possibly recharged from a mounted solar panel like the one I have that lights the flag in the front yard.

Stay tuned for future updates on the bike, stories of our Geocaching adventures and Sarah's new bike!

4 comments:

Mara Campbell said...

OMG that is the BEST bike ever. And with the flag...there is no question. Do you wear your scrubs when you ride to work? Just wondering...

And BTW, making a big deal about a squirrel in the backyard is waaaaay cheaper than taking the kids to Disneyland. Trust me.

Anonymous said...

Jason+new bike=HIPPIE!!!!! I can smell your patchouli from here!!! Just kidding, it is very radikool. Yay for you freeing yourself from gas gouging!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, you are one hot bike dude. This red rocket belongs between set of fine legs like yours!!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.