Thursday, May 29, 2008

VROOM VROOM!!!


This is PROBABLY the guy who passed me yesterday on 80 East bound. He'd be the bonehead in the Chevy 2500 Extra Cab with an 8 inch lift kit and giant tires who blew by me at about 80 miles and hour. I can't imagine that guy was getting any better than 10-12 miles per gallon, while I was smugly driving Sarah's Corolla getting a nice 37 mpg. Behind me was a nice little line of Hondas and Toyotas, all with cruise control at 70, enjoying the sunny day and light traffic. Now this MORAN really gets under my skin.

This guy is probably the first one to complain about high gas prices, and how the "government should be doing something" about it. He's probably also convinced Barack Obama is a Muslim. The point being is mental midgets like the dude blowing down the highway at 80 mph in a vehicle getting 10 miles per gallon are either RICH or STUPID (not that they are mutually exclusive....). Lets set the record straight though, I am not an eco-nazi, tree hugging, level 4 vegan (only eating things that don't cast shadows) but I recognize that when a tank of gas costs 50 bucks, its time THINK ABOUT DRIVING LESS and SLOWING THE HELL DOWN when I do.

I, for one, think gas prices soaring is the ONLY thing that will make us stand up and take notice of the huge costs to our environment, health, and economic and political survival in the world that our voracious appetite for gasoline has created. I am not advocating returning to the stone age (HEY EZEKIAL, WANNA RAISE A BARN ON TUESDAY???), but I do think that we can do a lot to improve life on the planet for ALL of us just by doing what the Europeans have been doing for the past 30 years... driving smaller cars, driving them slower, and not expecting gas to be free. Okay... enough already!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

I graduated from nursing school, now all I have to do is take my boards.........Congrats to you and Sarah! I am happy for you.

Well, they can't kick me out of nursing school anymore..He he he
Mary Tostado

Anonymous said...

*grins* we'd been much happier had we had a truck with a lift kit on father's day this year when it rained so much that the streets flooded- up to 4 feet in places- we saw a caddy with 22" rims that had water on the seats inside-we sat in a parking lot for an hour, waiting for the rain to stop and the water to go down so we could go home. Of course, down here, Hummers are called "Hurricane Evacuation Vehicles" and some people post-K still think they are necessary. But when I can fill my tank for less than $50 and they are spending 3x that, I'm the one laughing!